Few can deny that the holiday season is a time to indulge in some of your favorite foods. During this time of year there also seems to be plenty of cookies, candies and other sweets in every home that you visit. While we know that it may be too tempting to pass everything up, we suggest that you limit your intake of the following foods to keep your orthodontic braces safe:
- Candy canes – These snacks can be problematic in two ways. First, if you suck on them and let the candy dissolve in your mouth, you are exposing your teeth to sugar for a long period of time. Second, you could also bite candy canes, and that could bend or break your metal brackets.
- Caramels – They're tasty, but eating caramel during the holiday season doesn't make them any less dangerous for your braces. For the same reason, you should also avoid candy like gum drops.
- Cookies – How are cookies any different during the holiday season? They are usually decorated with frosting and sugar and can damage tooth enamel if you don't rinse your mouth out soon after eating them.
- Festive beverages – Drinks like eggnog, apple cider and hot chocolate provide comfort on cold nights, but their sticky residue can get trapped behind your braces. Keep your serving size small and remember to rinse your mouth out.
- Fruitcake – Yes, there are some people who love this dessert. Its sugary base, nuts and candied fruits can present challenges for your teeth.
If you're interested in learning more about your options for orthodontic treatment, contact a New York City orthodontist today.